Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Logic, History.
HISTORY?! Don't let's be silly!
We really can't compare history to mustard in our pocket watch of mathematics. Unlike mustard, I do believe there is a place for history in math.
1) I think history should be incorporated into teaching mathematics, for the history of math is a subject area of math. Learning it could provide a fuller understanding of math, it may interest some students and provide engagement, and it adds a slight variety to classroom learning. How it should be added is not as clear to me. My only current thought would be little snippets in the lesson plan to add some interesting history and background.
2) The article had a confusing pitch. I expected to be more convinced, but it made some really strong points about why history shouldn't be added to math. The article attempted to counter the points of opposition, but I feel as though the points about time, interest, and potential annoyance weren't addressed particularly well. On top of this, many of the examples felt too complex to add to a Grades 8-12 curriculum. I myself felt dread about having to do assignments on many of the examples given.
3) Overall, I never really thought about adding history directly to my teaching, but after this article I'm cautiously optimistic about trying it, even if I'm not as enthusiastic as I was before I read it. At the very end of the article there are some interesting ideas about ways to add history to math. I feel inspired to attempt some outdoor experiences, games, and plays for math history in my class. They all sound like the kinds of things I enjoyed as a student, and I think it would be a great way to add history into math in a fun way.
History, perhaps let's be a little silly.
No comments:
Post a Comment